Family Reports Woman Dead After Dog Saliva Leads To Rare Infection

2,297 total views, 1 views today

A woman from Wisconsin died after her family confirmed that she suffered an extremely uncommon illness caused by a kind of microscopic organism found in some dogs’ saliva.

Sharon Larson, 58, felt sick on the 20th of June, the day after her dog bit her. She felt so frail the next day that she couldn’t hold a glass of water, and a neighborhood care center sent her to the emergency room.

Her husband, Daniel Larson, told news outlet, WTMJ that Sharon received treatment at the Wheaton Franciscan hospital in Franklin, Wisconsin. Ascension Wisconsin, the philanthropic group that manages the hospital, didn’t respond to request for comment.

Daniel told NBC at the hospital that his wife was having a renal failure. On the 22nd of June, she tested positive for capnocytophaga canimorsus, a common bacteria found in the mouths of canines and felines. Even though the bacteria are fairly common, it is a great deal unusual for them to cause a serious sickness. Specialists treated her with antibiotics; however, treatment was too late and Sharon died later that evening.

She is remembered by her family as being “amazingly kind” and caring.

Speaking to NBC, her daughter Larson-Hruzek said, “Her smile will live on through her five grandkids and a sixth on the way”

Sharon Larson’s case is peculiar in light of the fact that another Wisconsin resident, Greg Manteufel, contracted an extreme capnocytophaga infection that prompted the amputation of his arms and legs in the same month. Manteufel fell sick around two miles from where Larson got infected.

In spite of the obvious relationship between the two cases, medical specialists still stress that serious sickness from capnocytophaga is a great deal uncommon.

Scott Weese, a professor at the Ontario Veterinary College’s Centre for Public Health and Zoonoses, while speaking to HuffPost last week said, “The risk posed by a dog is really low, most dogs are carrying this bug in their mouth, but few people get sick.”

People usually fall sick when an animal carrying the bacteria nibbles them or after an animal licks them and its saliva gets in contact with broken skin or mucous membrane.

Scott Weese, and Jennifer McQuiston, a veterinarian and epidemiologist for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, stressed that nobody should get in a frenzy or surrender their pets. In any case, they warn that individuals with weakened immune systems or those who have lost their spleens are more likely to get infected and therefore, should take great care to avoid animal bites and seek attention immediately in the event that they are bitten, regardless of the degree.

All things considered, neither Larson nor Manteufel were at risk of increased susceptibility to the bacteria, according to NBC. That’s why anyone nibbed by any animal should visit the hospital.

“My brain is correct, I’m not thinking back one moment. It sucks, yet what are you going to do, you know? My psyche’s been 100 percent positive through the majority of this. Thinking back will accomplish nothing for you.” Manteufel, the man who went through different amputations said to People, still recuperating from the ailment and having an optimistic attitude.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *