2,036 total views, 1 views today
Former First Lady Michelle Obama launched a book last week called ‘Becoming’ and already it’s inspired many of her readers and her fans. It’s even caught the interest of Oprah who has suggested it on her show as a book club pick. Michelle Obama’s book is so good that even clothing companies have been selling out on shirts with Michelle’s quotes on them.
It’s just that good.
If you haven’t picked up the book yet, here’s a brief summary. In short, Becoming is a book that chronicles Obama’s life up to this point. She leaves nothing to the imagination as she talks about her journey from South Side Chicago all the way to the White House. It’s a remarkable story and it further solidifies your feelings if you truly think of her as the “Forever First Lady.” She recounts candid recollections as well as reflections that feel like they’re coming from a very close friend, and this memoir covers many relatable topics that we go through as teens and adults. Topics like self-doubt, grief, family, and work.
All in all there is a lot to learn from this book and this book reveals not just a lot of information about Michelle Obama, but also about America. She shares her unique experiences and passes on many lessons revolving around unity, hope, and change. Her takeaways she presents are valuable and quite true and positions Obama as a wise woman but also very much human despite being the First Lady.
Because of this book being stellar, there’s obviously many great quotes that can be extracted from this. Below we share a short list of 12 of our favourite quotes from this memoir. We encourage you to buy the book to get even more. It’s only $20 on Amazon.
- “There’s still a lot I don’t know about America, about life, about what the future might bring. But I do know myself.”
- “Your story is what you have, what you will always have. It is something to own.”
- “I’ve been lucky enough now in my life to meet all sorts of extraordinary and accomplished people. … What I’ve learned is this: All of them have had doubters.”
- “There are simply other ways of being.”
- “This may be the fundamental problem with caring a lot about what others think: It can put you on the established path.”
- “It was one thing to get yourself out of a stuck place, I realized. It was another thing entirely to try and get the place itself unstuck.”
- “I now tried out a new hypothesis: It was possible that I was more in charge of my happiness than I was allowing myself to be.”
- “My job, I realized, was to be myself, to speak as myself. And so I did.”
- “Even if we didn’t end up winning, we were making progress that mattered.”
- “If there’s one thing I’ve learned in life, it’s the power of using your voice.”
- “Am I good enough? Yes I am.”
- “Life was teaching me that progress and change happen slowly. We were planting the seeds of change, the fruit of which we might never see. We had to be patient.