38 total views, 2 views today
Endlessly customizable and perfect for when you’re feeling particularly picky, salads are a great choice for a quick, healthy meal. With plenty of room for trendy superfoods and organic ingredients, they’re among the healthiest lunches around. Not sure where to start? The below salad recipes can help you jumpstart your journey.
Farro is a high-fiber, high-protein, whole-grain wheat similar in appearance to barley. Its chewy texture and nutty flavor make it great for soups, breakfasts, and, of course, salads.
For this farro salad recipe, you’ll need:
- One pound of farro, rinsed and drained
- Two large carrots, diced
- One small onion, diced
- One celery rib halved crosswise
- Two garlic cloves, crushed
- A few bay leaves
- Two large heads of cauliflower cut into one-inch florets
- Half a pound of prosciutto, diced into one-quarter-inch cubes
- One half-cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- Half of a juiced lemon
- One-quarter cup of chopped parsley
- Two teaspoons of chopped marjoram
- Canola oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine the farro, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and other spices in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the farro by an inch, then bring it to a simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook over medium until the farro is tender but chewy, which should take about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain the farro, then spread the farro and vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet to cool.
Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, begin heating one inch of canola oil over moderately high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350° F. Frty the cauliflower pieces in batches until golden for about five minutes per batch, then drain.
Lastly, in a bowl, mix the farro, cauliflower, prosciutto, olive oil, lemon juice, vegetables, and herbs. Put a personal spin on this one with your favorite fresh herbs, then season and serve.
With fresh vegetables, aromatic feta cheese, and the perfect amount of herbs and spices, this easy Greek salad is the ideal quick weekday meal. It’ll take just a few minutes to make.
For your Greek salad, you’ll need:
- Four cups of chopped romaine lettuce
- One cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Half a cup of diced green bell pepper
- One cup of kalamata olives
- One cup of halved, marinated artichokes
- Half a cup of quartered cucumbers
- One-half cup of thinly sliced red onions
- Eight ounces of feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- Half a teaspoon of cracked black pepper
- Half a teaspoon of dried oregano
For an optional dressing, combine one quarter-cup of olive oil, three tablespoons of red wine vinegar, one tablespoon of lemon juice, half a teaspoon of oregano, two cloves of minced garlic, and salt plus pepper to taste.
First, add all of the prepared ingredients to a large mixing bowl. To create the Greek dressing, add the listed ingredients to a blender and pulse until well combined. Try adding more dressing to the salad if needed. Personalize this recipe with your favorite summer veggies. Mix, serve, and enjoy!
What are your favorite salad recipes? Sound off in the comments!